Monday, July 4, 2016

Happy Fourth

We finally got a decent amount of rain.  Some areas around us had to get floods for us to get this, I guess.  So I feel guilty about getting it.  Sorry, but thank you.



This is the west side of the garden. 
I wish garden plants had the same will to live that grass and weeds do.

This is looking south.

Now panning southeast.

This is the strawberry bed where the fence used to be between the garden and the back yard.  I had the strawberries in a wading pool but last winter the drainage holes apparently stopped up and most of the strawberry plants rotted in the ground.  Only about six plants left to repopulate.  They are Albions.

This is the last walkway on the east, looking north.  Cukes are on the far end archway.  Green beans, not that I've had any harvests yet, on the other archways.  You can see the new house in the background.  You know, no one has been working there since Wednesday.  We've had several hard rains on that OSB board they nailed to the roof rafters and the tarpaper they put on has been just flappin' in the wind.  I wouldn't be happy with that if I was the owner of the house and, for a crew that we have seen work 7 days a week, it seems really strange that there's been no one there since Wednesday.

This is the east fence, the curtain sheers are draped over the blackberries to protect theft by birds.  That's Tansy growing tall and fern-like, with their yellow button flowers.  I had some flopping out into the walkway, so I cut them.  They hold their color very well when dried.


Broom Corn.  The birds love it.  I keep thinking one of these days I'll make a Hogwarts broom.

I brought in what I thought was a peck of cucumbers this morning.  It's like they jump-started and grew overnight into Happy Housewives.  So I made two half-gallons of bread and butter pickles and already have given one to a neighbor.  My neighbors are always happy to get pickles. 

Except for the cukes, small harvests.  Blackberries are ripening very slowly.  Brown Berry cherry tomato just keeps on puttin' one foot in front of the other.  And the Pinapple Tomatillos are being accumulated, bit by bit, in the freezer, I'll try making a batch of jam when I get enough.  Up to this point, I feel like a person has to be hurting for something to make jam out of in order to grow these, but maybe I'll change my mind when I taste them.  Or not.  I've made Corncob Jelly before and that tastes to me like corn syrup, which, well, it is.  Paula made some jam out of the purple hulls from Purple Hull southern peas one year and sent me some and it does taste somewhat like grape.  Our pioneer ancestors were resourceful when it came to jam.  My mother always used to make tomato preserves.  I used to love it but made some a few years ago and discovered I don't, anymore....  Oh and I'm sorry for calling them Tomatillos when, according to someone who Commented on my blog that they're actually Ground Cherries, but it says Pineapple Tomatillo right on the seed package so there you are.  I'm not going to get all sensitive and be bothered when the first time someone Comments, it sounds like they're being critical, because maybe they were just trying to be helpful.  I've actually done that to people, myself, and had it not be received very well, is all I'm sayin'.....


This is a small Crimson Watermelon.  Oh, they are yummy, and practically grow themselves.


ONE Moon and Stars melon growing in the tall grass.  Last time I tried to grow these, the Roly-Polies infested them.  At least I got seed.  And it is this same old seed, from about 2009, that this plant grew from.  I see the moon And the moon sees me....

Look, Glenda, a baby Long Island Cheese pumpkin!  I sure hope they live long enough to mature something. 

More Crimson watermelons.


I planted peanuts and very few came up.  This one made a flower.


CowHorn Okra with a Cow Horn growing on it.  The plant is hardly big enough to support it.  I probably won't let this pod get much bigger before I cut it.  The plants normally grow like small palm trees, maybe 6 or 7' tall.  Last time I grew these, Hubs tore them out of the garden when the season was over and he said it was quite a job because they went deep.

We had a nice July 4 on July 3.  Neighbors invited us to their shin-dig.  They had to grill burgers under the overhang of their patio, but the rain stopped in time to set off fireworks.  We met several nice people, there was lots of food, and I even had a Margarita. 

I love my neighbors.

Happy 4th, and Rock On.  Hugs xoxoxo

1 comment:

  1. looks like you did get a good rain! I have a L.I. cheese squash that self seeded by the screened porch from Halloween decoration.....of course I am letting it grow. I think they need 100 days from sprouting to maturity. I still have sound ones in the milk parlor from 2 years ago!

    Welcome to margaritas! I am having one almost nightly for my cough (and I like them).

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Comment Moderation is back on. Spam comments, and those containing links to advertising will be deleted.