Saturday, November 28, 2015

Daily Doin's, Thanksgiving Week

I start this on Tuesday, November 24.

Over the weekend Hubs worked on installing the new electric garage door opener.  The one on the bay nearest the door that goes into the house quit working a couple of years ago and we never open that door, anyway, so we've just left the door closed all this time.  It can still be opened manually, whenever we need to.  But garage door openers went on sale at Lowe's a couple of months ago so he got a new one, and now that all that garage sale stuff that was out there has been donated, he can move around enough to get it installed.  He's having some difficulties, but now he thinks he's got it figured out.  I was busy with clean up, for the most part.  I mopped the floors on all of the first and second floors of the tri-level, and swept out all the mess that the rats made in the garage that I could get to.  I just could not get that dead rat smell out of my nose.  I was sure there was a dead rat in the garage behind the little freezer, but we moved it out, found lots of droppings and a nest, but no rat.  And then, later on, Hubs had to move the freezer a little more and saw a streak of blood on the floor.  Yes, there WAS a dead rat in there, he was kind of crammed into the inside corner of the motor well and it was a nasty, awful job getting him out of there.  With him out of there, and bleach-water and then Odo-Ban sprayed all around, the garage smells much better.  I don't know that I will ever want to use that freezer again, though.  {{{shiver}}}

On Sunday we visited a church.  Neither Hubs nor I were raised in the church, though Hubs' mother read her Bible often and tried to live her life by it.  She influenced her children as much as she knew how, but generally the boys in the family were not very good listeners.  Nor was their father.  My mother was a self-proclaimed atheist.  When I started going to church with a friend, the pastor of the church started dropping by the house to visit.  I can't say what his true thoughts must've been, when Mom laughed at how Christians believed what she perceived as impossibilities.  As I grew older I began to understand the miracles that God worked in my life and that of my family.  I saw prayers answered.  And many times, I found God's love through despair.  My children were exposed to church and Sunday school, and we were all baptized, but we had trouble finding one where we felt like we really fit in.  Then by the time the grandsons were living with us, we had settled into "A Church Family" and they were raised in that church.

While the grandsons were in their mid-teens, our church got a new pastor.  The one we had was in the military reserves and he was called up to be a chaplain somewhere.  I don't know how all that works.  But he gave up his post at our church and a new family moved into The Parsonage.  Unfortunately, there was some kind of strife going on in the church from whence our new pastor came, and people from that church went the extra mile when they found out he was coming to us.  They called certain members of our church and said that he had caused the strife that existed in their church and warned that he would do the same for ours.  That information spread like wildfire.  It didn't help that our previous pastor found out that he was going to have more time at home than he thought he was, and after the new pastor took his place in our church, he asked him if he could be Associate Pastor, and our new pastor told him that he wouldn't be comfortable with that.  Anyway, that's what our previous pastor told certain people, and THAT information spread like wildfire, too.  But I was told by one of the church members whose father had been a pastor in that church many years ago that it's in the bylaws that when a pastor leaves his post, he is not even supposed to attend church there.  Much less be Associate Pastor.  I watched as our new pastor tried to find his place in our church.  He told us from the pulpit that he loved us.  I was at a baptism that he conducted and he did it with such joy that it brought tears to my eyes.  Did I see trouble at our church?  Yes, I did.  But it didn't look to me like he was anything more than the victim.  I never heard him say one word against any member of our congregation or even of the previous pastor, who was still going around doing "visitation" amongst our church family when he didn't have the right to do so.  I watched several of our older church members as they conveyed to our new pastor, in no uncertain terms, that he was disliked and unwelcome.  And it hurt my heart.  I spoke with many of these people, trying to get them to see that they weren't being fair.  But their minds were made up.  So eventually we changed churches, went to a bigger church where our teenaged grandsons could participate in more youth activities, and we rocked along that way for awhile. 

Then that church decided to build a new building, and every Sunday became all about squeezing every available penny from its members.  They formed "mission groups" who would have meetings in their homes, the sole purpose being getting people to sign pledges of donations they didn't yet have money for, and accumulating money to meet the goal of paying off the loan in advance.  They had dedicated and sincere people, obviously not well-to-do by any means, stand up during church service and tell, for instance, how they were going to have chicken for Thanksgiving instead of turkey so as to be able to put more in the collection plate when it came around.  No matter how much we gave, it seemed to never be enough, and it got to the point where I couldn't find God in that church.  So, disillusioned with churches but not with God, we just quit going to church.  The sad part is that I just loved having a church family, and I still miss that.  Members of our original church kept calling me, wanting me to say that we left because of the new pastor when that would've been a lie; acting like they thought we'd stopped believing in God and Jesus Christ, when mostly they probably should've looked in the mirror for that.  My faith in God and Jesus never wavered, in fact, it's probably stronger now than it has ever been.  It's always said that, well, people aren't perfect, that's why they need to go to church, but it seems to me like if they're acting up so bad IN that church that they're making it a real trial for others to be there, they must not be getting out of going to church what they ought to be getting.

There was much to like about the church we visited Sunday.  It is located near where we live.  The building and furnishings were modest, as some churches go, but comfortable and functional.  The music was upbeat.  The sermon was upbeat and was about The Healing Power of Prayer.  It was well-delivered and interesting.  I didn't get sleepy once.  After the service, a woman who had shaken my hand and introduced herself, before services, visited with me and led me to a table of handouts for visitors.  It turned out we had been almost neighbors when we lived in Dewey.  And I met my dentist's wife. 

In a perfect world, I'd like to go to a church where my neighbors all go.  But lots of people don't go to churches in their immediate community anymore.  They have a whole long list of qualities they're looking for, and they'll go clear across town if most of those qualities are checked off.  They have things that are higher on their list than "proximity".  No, we haven't made any decisions.  I imagine we'll visit several churches before we settle on one. 

Every now and then we like to get out of town and wander around the shops and flea markets.  Once in awhile I find something I want or need, but now that I've put myself on an austerity program as far as buying "stuff", this time I decided the goal, other than just getting out and enjoying the day, was to see how things were priced, and maybe to sell rather than buy.  So on Monday we put some collectibles that I gathered up during the weekend in the car and set off to neighboring communities to see if we could find a shop where the owner was in-house.  The "Flea Markets" have a lot more variety than individual shops, which is good if your goal is to buy.  They are filled with booths that are rented by different people, the items have an identifying number on every price tag so when you get up front with your selections, the clerk knows who to give the credit to.  But usually the people who ring up the sale are not the owners of anything in the building.  Their wages are paid out of the booth rental that everyone pays every month.  If you want to "deal", they have the phone number of the owner of that particular item and will call them, but if you took something in there so sell they'd just say, "Rent a booth".  And I could do that, but then I'd have to arrange stuff, and deal with losing stuff to shoplifters.  Stuff sometimes sits in those booths for a long time before it sells, and sometimes it doesn't sell at all.  I just can't see how I could keep from "going in the hole" that way.

We went to Collinsville first because it used to be just full of little shops, but that has given way to other things and some of the ones that were still there were "Open Tuesday Through Saturday", and it was Monday.  Sheesh.  There was one very large flea-market-looking place, but it was kind of obvious they just didn't need one more piece of junk.  I didn't even approach the person behind the counter because he was a man and he was already being obnoxious to someone else that was trying to sell him something.  I just didn't feel like having my day ruined by being hacked off that early in the day.  So we made our way back a little closer to home and found a woman at a shop that bought some of the better Guardian Service pans and lids I had, and a Wagner cast-iron skillet that I didn't need.  I left there with $40.  At the next shop, the man was bordering on rude, wouldn't make an offer without my setting a price first and then he did as I knew he would, he cut that number in half and said that was the best he could do.  So I let him take the basket of old dolls, because they were some of the junkiest ones I had, all in need of repair of one kind or another, and there being no "doll hospital" in our area now for the past several years.  He took an old tin laundry boiler for $5 less than Hubs had paid for it.  And he counter-offered me a ridiculously low price on the remaining Guardian Service pans and lids, but since the woman at the other shop had bought the best ones at the price I had quoted, I accepted his offer.  I thought Hubs had unloaded the pans and that I had been paid for them but after we got down the road, I discovered I only had $30 from him, the money for the dolls and the boiler.  It was OK, though, because then Hubs told me the pans and lids were still in the car.  And to tell the truth, if I have a garage sale in the spring I can probably get more for them than the man was going to pay.  I just hate when people are rude.  It doesn't cost anything to be polite, and might pay off at some time in the future.  So, though this man told me he "deals mostly in furniture" and asked me to think of him if I unearthed something in that category, I think the likelihood of my ever going into that shop again is going to be small.

The rat trap that I ordered from Amazon came yesterday afternoon and so I set it up in the front where I had seen some movement and began getting results in pretty short order.  It's a smaller trap than the one we already had.  I think it might be helpful in catching mice that don't seem to weigh enough to trip the other trap while they eat the bait. 

Hubs finally got the garage door opener mechanism figured out and it works as it's supposed to.  Turns out he was trying to take a "shortcut" by connecting it to sensors and switches that went with the opener that had gone bad (and which was a different brand).  Hubs is really bad about taking shortcuts.  I hate when he does that and I hope he learned something.  But it's a little late in the game for that, right?  After he was finished, he hauled his ladders and tools back out to his workshop and I went to work cleaning up the bay.  As I cleaned up the freezer with bleach-water, I discovered the rats had chewed on the electric cord, and it had exposed wires.  Well, that's that.  It was a small freezer that is probably close to 20 years old, so it wasn't a big loss.  We keep the big one inside the house.  I was really grateful that I heeded a small, still voice that told me, while the rat infestation was really bad in the garage, to get everything out of that freezer and unplug.  I was concerned that anything that was plugged in might be chewed on and cause a fire.  It took some doing to find places for what was in that freezer, but most of it was wheat I'd had in there in order to kill any weevil eggs and whatnot, so I let it come up to room temperature and poured it into big jars and vac-packed them with my FoodSaver.  Turns out this wheat has chaff in it.  The wheat I bought at the same place last year was so clean.  Guess next year I'll have to see what's in the bag before I buy. *Sigh*.

We had unplugged the canning stove, too, that's about the only other electrical thing that's out there, and I'm sure hoping the cord to it is going to look OK when I get around to that side to clean.  It just plugs in to the stove so if it's damaged a new one can be bought.  At least there's that.  Hubs said he could replace the cord to the freezer but it's already so old, I just don't think there's much point.  I'm not even sure there isn't something else in the motor well that's been chewed on, too, and it isn't worth taking the chance.  I had him remove the cord so no one could ever accidentally plug it in.  I guess I can use it to store my garden stuff in, or maybe I can give it to some rancher who will use it to store his feed in.  Next time I see Kylie, our woodchip guy, I'll ask him if he can use it.

They say you shouldn't breathe the dust that gets stirred up when you clean up rat droppings, because it can make you sick, so I have been carefully sweeping up areas with a broom and dustpan.  Even with all that removed there's still the residue because rats don't have bladders and they pee every time they take a step.  Anyway that's what I've heard.  So today I used a scrub brush that's attached to a broom handle, dipped it into my bleach-water bucket and scrubbed the floor down in sections.  Then I vacuumed up the water with the wet / dry shopvac.  When the shopvac is used on dry surfaces, it releases some of the dust into the air through the exhaust.  I can't imagine what the producers were thinking.  Maybe the problem was that they weren't thinking, at all.  I didn't think it would be safe to vacuum that floor while it was dry and end up working in a cloud of bad stuff.  Even if what you're vacuuming up is safe to breathe why would anyone bother to vacuum up something that's just going to end up coming out of the exhaust?  It's beyond me.

I'm trying really hard not to be mad at Hubs for not believing me the first (second, third and fourth)time I told him I thought the rats were gaining access to the garage even when the doors were closed.  So much of this damage and mess would not have happened if only he hadn't waited so long.

The stress of the situation has really taken its toll on my sense of well-being.  And also, I'm sure Hubs would agree, my normally sunny disposition.  I just haven't been feeling well at all and I fall into bed exhausted every night.  I guess the silver lining in all of this is that now I've lost five more pounds since surgery, for a total of 25 pounds so far for the year.  I'd like to have ten more off by the end of the year, but considering that it's only six weeks away, that's not enough time to lose much more than three to five pounds.  I refuse to cut 'way back and mess up my metabolism.

This morning I was met at my front door by a young black-grey-white striped short-haired tabby.  I haven't seen the black cat since that day he was on the back patio.  I can only assume these are Bob and Marty's cats.  They live up on the corner near the county road and I know they have several cats.  Every now and then we're visited by Jay and Claire's cat.  It's a very pretty mature gray and white long-haired tabby.  These are all the more reason not to use D-Con. 

This is now Thursday, Thanksgiving Day
I see by my statistics that sometimes I have visitors from Europe.  I just want you all to know that I include you in my prayers every day.  Almost all of us who live in the US have ancestors that were immigrants.  My ancestors came from Germany, France and England, mostly.  Hubs' ancestors came from Wales and England, mostly.  He has some American Indian heritage, very little, but apparently even the American Indian was not original to this continent.  It's just that they got here before everyone else.  I don't know how they know that -- artifacts and carbon testing, I guess.  I have to admit I'm frightened by the aspect of immigration today.  Our country has been fighting against illegal immigration from Mexico for years and I'm not sure I quite understand that.  These people will do work that American citizens will not.  They will live in places where American citizens will not.  Appears to me that we take advantage of them once they're here but maybe I don't see the whole picture.  They may not pay employment taxes but they pay sales tax every time they buy something, and when they work for less money than an American will work for, it seems no worse than an American country out-sourcing American jobs to another country.  It may be that our country provides them medical services and other humanitarian aid but do we not have doctors and contributors who will travel great distances to other countries to do this same work.  This is all so confusing to me.  Especially since now our president intends to open our doors to refugees that may or may not be terrorists.  I don't always agree with what Donald Trump says, and I don't like the pompous way he says it, but he is correct in that a very high percentage of those immigrants does seem to be young, able-bodied men and women.  And terrorists can be parents, don'tcha know.....  Children can grow up to be terrorists.  Children BORN here can become terrorists.  Now they are saying that the way Muslims are treated in American schools is causing the spread of hatred on their behalf but I have news for them and that is that ANYONE that is even the slightest bit different from what is perceived by bullies to be "average", will be bullied.  Being bullied in school or at work is a huge problem in the US and has resulted in many mass murders and non-Muslim-shooter-suicide.  Instead of being so convinced that people who suffer from depression may become killers, we need to be looking into the pasts of who was a bully in school.  In fact, I think the problems that we are now dealing with here in the US, where the police are killing young, unarmed black men, has to do with poor screening when the officer in question first applies to become a police officer.  I can see that this profession might draw young adults who were bullies in school so that they can continue to feed whatever empty places they have within themselves by making some innocent person's life miserable.  There is a real risk that a Police Department can become a Brotherhood Of Bullies.  I know many people who are on The Police Force who are wonderful people, kind, caring, brave, and so on, so don't think I'm making blanket statements.  I'm sure they're just as concerned as anyone when there's another killing.  All it takes is one "bad cop" to give the entire city a bad name.  Now the thing to say is that the shooter "felt threatened" and that just doesn't make any sense to me.  I'm sure there isn't a single day during a police officer's life where he doesn't at one time or another feel a sense of his being in danger.  It's part of the job.  Like I say, there are many things I don't understand. 

This Thanksgiving Day, I'm led to think about why we hold this day as a special day, and how hard it must've been for America's first immigrants to begin a new life in an inhospitable and foreign place.  Many died so a few could live on.  I, and many other Americans, am descended from survivors.  I'm grateful to my immigrant ancestors for their strength, their courage, their persistence, their ability to adapt.  Everything I am comes from them. 

I'm grateful for friends; for another year during which we lived in relative safety; for the comforts of home and family; for reasonably good health; for God and Jesus Christ.  I'm grateful for the progress that my children and grandchildren have made in their lives, and for the presence of my precious great-grandchildren.  I'm grateful that Hubs and I have had the grit and the guts to hang in there together through it all for nearly 50 years now.  Neither of us is perfect and both of us have been a challenge to love at many times along the way.  Marilyn Monroe is supposed to have said, "If you can't put up with me at my worst, then you don't deserve me at my best".  I guess, when I think about it, that can be applied in a lot of ways, to a lot of situations, and actually, to the quality of life in general.  Whether you celebrate Thanksgiving, or some equivalent thereof, or not, it's a good idea to remind yourself periodically of what you are grateful for.  If you pray, don't forget to give thanks at the beginning of every prayer.

I've been kind of unhappy with my computer because it seems to be remembering my passwords to various sites where I go.  Sometimes this is really helpful and time-saving, but if you get hacked into or if your computer is stolen, or if it crashes and you have to take it somewhere to be repaired, SOMEONE might be able to log in to whatever sites your computer has remembered a password for.  HERE are instructions for what to do.  By all means, do keep a little address book or at least a list, with all your log-in names and passwords, in a safe place.  Preferably NOT in a document you have stored on your computer's desktop entitled "PASSWORDS".  Heh.

This is now Friday, the 27th.

We had a good Thanksgiving Day.  Spike and DDIL ate lunch and spent the afternoon with us.  She has three children by previous marriages but they spent Thanksgiving with the man who is the father of the two youngest.  So it was just the two of them.  They did not want another big dinner as they'd had one with their church family, and their purpose for coming was actually so that Spike could help Hubs with the replacement of weatherstripping on the sliding patio doors, and so that he could look at the repairs that Hubs made on the golf cart and tell Hubs if the job looked ok.  It was almost too cold to work on the doors, but they did that in pretty short order.  Spike said the golf cart needs new ignition wires, or something, I don't understand these things, and said he had some he'd bring over next time.  Spike is a pretty good lawnmower repairman and does quite a bit of it, so he has stuff like that in his shed. 

I had just baked whole wheat bread and made it into sandwich rolls, as I usually do, so we had sandwiches and chips.  There was tea in the refrigerator and Pepsi and Dr. Pepper is always in the house because Hubs drinks it.  I had baked a cake, nothing fancy, just a German Chocolate mix and Pillsbury coconut-pecan frosting from the pantry.  A far cry from the dinners I used to put together for Thanksgiving, but remarkably stress-free and easy.  No leftovers to deal with, and hardly any mess to clean up after.  I had a good visit with DDIL while Hubs and Spike were working.  They left about 2:30 because there were some deeply-discounted things at WMT that she wanted to get, and the deals would go away by 5.  I'm so glad I don't have to get into that sort of thing.  It sounds horrible.  I saw on TV where there were two men actually fighting on the floor, at a shopping mall somewhere in Kentucky.  I saved Hubs out a couple of pieces of cake and sent the rest of it home with Spike and DDIL.  It's so funny how they are always so happy to come here and find cake.

This morning the sound of rain woke us both up really, really early.  And it was a productive morning because the rats were hungry and easily trapped.  By 8am I had caught and drowned eight of them, with one trap on the patio and the other sitting in the back of the compost bins.  Would it be unseemly of me to admit that I feel a certain sense of joy with each rat taken out of circulation?  I can't help but think how many future generations I am eliminating.  Rats do serve a purpose, as they are in the food chain for predatory birds: hawks and owls, mostly.  I don't think what I'm doing will cause a shortage of food for those birds.  Surely there are still plenty out in the fields that were not on fire.  If there aren't enough rats to eat, and really I don't think that will ever happen, maybe they'll hunt rabbits.  We certainly have enough of those around. 

Do you know that there can be as many as fourteen Norway "rat pups" in one litter?  Their gestational period is 21 to 23 days.  The "pups" are weaned at three or four weeks old.  Although there is no delimited breeding season, there is a decrease in breeding during late fall and winter.  One male rat, however, can impregnate a whole harem of females.  A rat's lifespan is 2-3 years (unless they get into my trap -- bwah-ha-ha).  Rats can do a great deal of damage and they can carry some pretty serious diseases, so when caught they should not be handled and should be destroyed rather than relocated.  I read on one website that rats pretty much will stay within a 30-yard radius of where they have made their nest.  This is why people who live in the country where there is no burning will often not be bothered too much by rats.  But in our case, the fire that burned here so close to us a few weeks ago pushed them out of their burrows in the fields.  That happens also when the ranchers around us burn off their fields, a practice that I am seriously not happy with but it has been done for so long that there are only two chances of ever getting that stopped: (1) Slim; and (2) None.   All I can do is try to destroy the ones who migrate onto my property.  When we get a few warm days, I plan to take down my compost bins and construct a round enclosure out of three or four fence-wire tomato cages in which to pile pulled-up weeds.  I can place this outside the fence and on the land of what I call "The North Fourth" so if any rats live in that, they will be far from the house and can be hunted easily by the neighborhood dogs and the birds of prey.  I bury my kitchen compost and I think that's about the best way to get the compost into the garden.  I haven't seen any evidence of anything digging there.  Norway rats are attracted to tall weeds so I should be more accepting of Hubs' penchant for using his weed-wacker.  Though I would like to have habitat for lizards, birds, toads and frogs, I'm not sure if I can do that and not have the rats moving into it. 

This is now Saturday and it is cold and rainy.  I bet you're as sick and tired of reading about rats as I am of writing about them.  So before I finish this post off I'd like to give you some stuff to try to make up for being such a bore.  And I am sorry.  It's just, this is my life right now.  *Sigh*.

So, to start things off, I've been dinking around on the Internet, specifically, YouTube, and found this guy named Dr. Mercola, who has some interesting things to say about how to ward off colds and flu.  So start with THIS offering, and then YouTube will show you more, if you're interested.  Or click on the "Mercola" link below the title of the current selection and you'll get a screen full of YouTubes that he has published.  He has a method for fending off a cold by putting Hydrogen peroxide in your ears.  Laugh first, then try it, what've you got to lose?  Hydrogen peroxide is in that stuff called SwimEar, along with rubbing alcohol, and I use it in my ears after I shampoo my hair because otherwise the water that I do not get out of my ears causes me to have an earache and/or some dizziness.  So, open minds, OK?  You will also notice, if you watch the video that I've linked, he says that the over-consumption of sugar can lower your resistance to colds and flu.  And I fully believe that.  How many times has this happened to you:  You let your kids go Trick-or-Treating on Halloween and then the week after they catch a bad cold.  EVEN WHEN the weather has been nice over Halloween, so it's NOT being exposed to cold weather.  I also have a netipot, and I know people who will use their netipot as soon as they feel a cold coming on.  They swear by it.  I've done it and had it work for me.  And weird as it may sound, you can quiet a bad cough enough so that you can sleep through the night by rubbing the soles of your feet with Vicks VapoRub (it's probably the camphor in it), then putting on socks, right before you turn in.  Lots of people swear by that, nutty as it sounds, and I've had it work for me, too. 

HERE are some selections to watch related to Ron Howard's recent announcement of his documentary on aging.  I'm kinda thinking Fonzie could use some help in that area.  But then, so could I.  Spoiler Alert:  Since these are about research, some of the videos show rats milling around.  Sorry.  This link has several short videos that are linked together, so let the next one start when the one before it ends to see them all.  Oh, and one of the speakers is named Brett RATner.  I tell you, I just cannot catch a break!  LOL, LOL

Oh, and looks like Ron's documentary is going to be aired on NatGeoTV on Sunday night, if you have access to that channel, at 8pm Central time.   HERE is their site. 

HERE is a cool YouTube about making Stone Soup, FOR REAL.  I was fascinated by the story of Stone Soup when I was a child and I have often thought of it and how resourceful those soldiers who first made it (according to the original story) were. 

HERE is an Oprah show that might get your wheels a-turnin'.  It's about Rhonda Byrne and "Discovering The Secret".  Lots to think about here.  I'll tell you something that really lit me up and that was, about at 24:30 in this video, they started talking about how everything bad that happens to you comes with a gift.  OH!  I had never thought about that before, but I have said, many times, that had I not gone through that terrible experience with my family that I did, I didn't think I would have ever TRULY found God.  So there ya go.  Think about this, Dear Ones.  Think about the bad things that happened in your life.  And then think about the good things that happened to you after, and ask yourself whether you would be in that same time and place, without the bad thing happening to you, in order to receive that good thing.  Take a deep breath and try not to scoff at this Doofus Old Redneck Woman.  But if you must, oh, go ahead.  There is much about ourselves, our world and our understanding of it that we don't fully understand. 

There are lots of other selections on the sidebar of this particular webpage if you want to get deeper into the subject and see other points of view.  Included in these selections is the Oprah After Show, which I thought was interesting.  And there's a full movie entitled "The Shift" by Wayne Dyer.  I haven't watched that yet, but I'm going to.  It's 2 hours.

Really, when you think about it, this concept is nothing new.  Think about Norman Vincent Peale and his "The Power Of Positive Thinking".   Then there's that book "How To Stop Worrying And Start Living" by Dale Carnegie.  Or how about "The Seven Habits Of Highly Effective People" by Steven Covey.  "Think And Grow Rich", Napoleon Hill.  All different but the same, if you get what I mean.  I guess the thing is that we keep having to be reminded.  Sorta goes back to the old Pogo statement, "We have seen the enemy and it is us".  Or as one of the panel members on Oprah's show said, "We keep getting in our own way". 

At the beginning of this Oprah show, Rhonda Byrne mentions reading a book by Wallace D. Wattles called "The Science Of Getting Rich", written so long ago that it is now out of copyright.  She said she applied the principles outlined in that book to any improvement that she wanted to attract into her life, not just financial.  It's downloadable in it's entirety HERE.  I advise you to save this PDF file to your computer if you think you might want to have it to refer to later, because things like this have a way of becoming re-copyrighted when they become popular and then you have to pay for it. 

Some of the things they talked about made me think of the "Vision Board" that my daughter kept for awhile.  She swore that it worked for her. 

Well, I hope I've redeemed myself, somewhat, for the boring post.  I'm hungry for lunch and will pad up to the kitchen for some leftover chicken and rice with peas and carrots.  Have a great weekend.

Hugs, xoxoxoxoxo

4 comments:

  1. Your rat adventures are interesting, Ilene. We haven't had any field burned off around us since we moved here, so we have never had your problem with them, but I am amazed at how many you have had to deal with. Yuck! We have 5 cats, all outdoors, and we see them with rats regularly. We usually have a few explorer mice get in the house about once a year, but that's all. Traps usually take care of them in a day or so.

    I hope you find a church that is comfortable and welcoming. It's amazing that our preacher sometimes includes 'we need to be nice to each other', meaning our church family, in his sermons sometimes. He has been at this church for 50 years, which is a record in itself, and when he retires, some folks expect the bickering to start up between those that don't get along very well. It's sad.

    It's still raining here and will be for another day probably. We needed a good, deep, soaking rain and we got one. Now we're ready for it to quit. Makes for a good excuse to sit around and take it easy, though. Have a good week.

    Fern

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ilene ~ I enjoyed this newsy post and thank you for taking the time to write it all out.

    I will watch The Shift later, it sounds good to me.

    I have found a small, upbeat church that I am going to that I am blessed to be a part of.

    Have a wonderful Sunday with Hubs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem to be dealing with the rat problem as best you can without poisoning. I think it's just a never-ending process. My fridge stopped working once and when we pulled it out there was a fried mouse with his teeth embedded in the cable. A new piece of cable and a good scrub sorted that one out. We adhere to the Law of Attraction and it seems to work for us. The more you believe, the better it works - maybe it's our form of "religion" ;-) When I decided what car I wanted - down to the actual model, engine size, paint colour and fuel type, I made a picture of one as my screensaver. It took a year, but that exact car came to me. I can even "attract" the type of work jobs that I want if I think positively about them often enough. Adrian is never ill, and when he feels unwell, he "works on it". Yes, it sounds crackers, but if it works... why not? Obviously, the UK doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving but if you go about life in a state of gratitude, it amounts to the same - and The Universe likes gratitude and sends you more things to be grateful for! I too loved your latest post :-D

    ReplyDelete

  4. Another very newsy post; almost as good as sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee....but not quite. Wish we could do that.

    The rat issue still just amazes us. Will it never end? You need some killer cats outside all the time or a rat terrier.

    Glad you got the garage door opener going. I doubt I could lift one manually these days.

    Enjoy the sunshine this week (I hope you are having it too).

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Comment Moderation is back on. Spam comments, and those containing links to advertising will be deleted.