Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Daily Doin's, Second Week Of October, 2015

I start this on Saturday.

We went Garagin' for a little while.  Bought a Rubbermaid storage shed for $35. Amazon sells the same thing  HERE for $204 so I reckon this was The Buy Of The Day.

Hubs has already got it settled in and tied to the fence where it'll be central to the yard or the garden.  I'll keep my shovels, rakes and forks in there.

I found these silicone things you put on your ears of corn before you boil them.

Never heard of such a thing, but Miles Kimball sold them.  HERE is a picture showing them on the corn.

I found a few interesting-looking recipes, thought I'd share.  This first one is for Homemade Enchilada Sauce.  In fact this blog looks interesting, I might do a little bunny hoppin' on it.  I'm finding it a little hard to navigate on this blog, and it looked like she quit blogging in 2014, but there are recent posts.  The secret is to go to the archives from her Home page, Maebells.com.

Then there're these I thought sounded right for Home Canned Pizza Sauce and Home Canned Spaghetti Sauce.  Normally I just can thick tomato puree, with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. citric acid in each jar, and make it into whatever I'm needing when I open it.  My choice of herbs and spices becomes a little erratic, usually for anything Italian I add bell pepper, onion and garlic, oregano, fennel and basil.  For Mexican, I leave out the fennel and basil and use ancho pepper powder (I buy mine at Penzey's), cumin and a splash of hot sauce, you know, it comes in a skinny bottle with a tiny hole in the top so you won't put too much in at a time.  I have made my own before, in fact I think I still have a container of it in the freezer, it was simple to make.  I don't remember who gave me the recipe, but here it is:

Hot Sauce 
Place ripe hot peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped, in the blender with an equal amount of cider vinegar.  Blend till smooth.  Pour into small bottles and keep refrigerated.

Now, if you want to get fancy, you can do all sorts of things.  You can add onion or garlic or both to the blender, but really, I'd rather just have my hot sauce pure so if I ended up with onion or garlic in the dish, I wouldn't be adding more when I put in the hot sauce.  You can replace some of the cider vinegar with lemon or lime juice.  Or you can use fancy vinegar.  I'm just an Old Redneck Woman and so cider vinegar is my go-to.  You can save the seeds for planting next year or combine them with the trimmings and boil in water 15 minutes, then strain and use this water in the garden to ward off aphids, thrips, and spider mites, if you want to.

Maebells has a taco seasoning recipe on her blog that calls for 1 tsp ancho powder, 1/2 tsp each cumin, paprika, onion and garlic powder for each pound of ground beef.  That's pretty close to what I use.  Oh, and I mentioned Penzey's.  Their prices are much better than what you pay for spices at the grocery store in those little bottles.  Their spices come in several sizes and of course the price per ounce gets lower as the amount in the package increases.  They almost always have a little special product they send you for free with your order.  Nice people, and their catalog is full of recipes.  Their website is easy: Penzeys.com.  You can get on their distribution list for catalogs, which come out several times a year, by phoning or emailing them.   Email: customerservice@penzeys.com or
Call toll-free: 1-800-741-7787.  I don't get anything for plugging them, just so ya know.

Another catalog I used to really enjoy getting is Williams Sonoma.  I think it didn't follow me when we moved to The Ponca House, and I was busy raising grandsons and by then was working full time, too, so it was one of the things that fell through the cracks.  Their merchandise is really spendy and I think I only actually bought something from the catalog once, and some of their recipes called for expensive ingredients I didn't normally keep in my pantry.  But there were also some really good ones.  The recipe that I use for English Muffin Bread, I found in their catalog, years and years ago.  They've got a great online presence, start HERE , you can go to their recipes and they also have a blog that I didn't know about.  More bunny hopping is in order, I think.  But their English Muffin Bread recipe isn't there.  I've posted it before here, but I can't get a search to turn it up.  Maybe another broken Blogger thing.  Hmmmmpf.  Allrecipes has one for the bread machine that's HERE, although I've found the bread machine isn't necessary and makes the bread too fine-grained.  You want all those little nooks and crannies.  Just mix this recipe up with a spoon.  The more it's mixed, the more the gluten is activated and that means finer texture.   That's a good idea, to bake it in a greased can.  I'd think a tomato juice can would be just about perfect.  Or two or three of those 24-oz spaghetti sauce cans (for example, Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce) might work.  Only fill about halfway till you get a feel for how high the dough's going to rise.

I am having some issues with Blogger now.  It doesn't want to accept my pictures.  And when I look at my blog, my Followers list is weird.  I don't know if it has to do with the fact that I'm using Mozilla Firefox as my browser and it's not talking nice to Blogger anymore now, or if my Kaspersky updated some file and is not talking nice to Blogger now, or what.  The problem wasn't there when I first got back online.  I only chose Mozilla over Explorer to begin with because at the time, Blogger had some issues with Explorer.  I went online to see if there was any information on the problem, and all I found was that maybe the browser cookies needed to be cleaned out.  Well, I did that and ended up having to enter all my passwords all over again, which was a nuisance, and the problem persists.  If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it.  I may open Explorer and see if it works any better now than it did before.

So until the issue is solved, I guess I can't show you any pictures.  Seems like every year at about this time, some kind of crap happens that just thoroughly hacks me off and makes me think blogging is too much of a pain in the A$$ to deal with.  I mean, I do enjoy it.  And it helps me to keep up with certain friends that I hardly ever hear from otherwise. *Sigh*.  Sometimes we get too involved with our Technology and then when it doesn't work right it just rocks our world.  Doesn't seem right.

Well, this is now Tuesday and I'll try to post this today.  

I'm happy to say that I haven't gained any weight back since I've been recuperating from surgery.  I feel like it's time now I can resume watching what I consume and working on getting closer to my long-term goal.  I just saw on TV where some guy said he lost 45 pounds in one month.  Yeah, well, it won't stay off, I can just about guarantee it.  My goal is a little more realistic.  I hope to have 10 more pounds off by January, 2016.  That's about a pound a week and even that might be a little much to expect but we'll see how it goes.

That's about all I have for now.  Rocking on, here.  Hugs xoxoxo

4 comments:

  1. Good for you on the weight loss. I need to really apply myself this winter.

    I hope you get the picture thing worked out soon. I enjoy seeing your place.

    What a good deal on the storage shed. I hope you set it in the garden area. I still have to walk a little distance to get my tools but I consider it forced exercise.

    I shop Penzys too maybe because of you. I can't remember. Last time I got ancho chili powder, cinnamon, cumin and a bag of whole nutmegs. For some reason last year, no one had whole nutmegs. I should try the hot sauce. I have some Anchos drying now.

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the pepper seed idea for bugs in the garden. I'm going to have to remember that one. I use Firefox exclusively and haven't had any trouble with Blogger. We've had trouble with our internet staying connected, but not with Firefox. Technology is great when it works well.

    Fern

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Firefox too and no problems with Blogger.

    I'll have to check out Penzys.

    I have one of those storage sheds and I think DH paid $5 for it at a yard sale.

    Enjoy the rest of your week and I hope you get to post pictures soon.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try Google Chrome? (No, don't - I can't post my comment via Wordpress despite hitting "publish" numerous times so have reverted to my Google ID!) Well done on the non-weight gain! Looking forward to your pics when they work out for you :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Comment Moderation is back on. Spam comments, and those containing links to advertising will be deleted.