Saturday, August 1, 2015

A Cautionary Note

I need to share with you some information I just found on WebMD about Turmeric, HERE.  If you have been using Turmeric, pay special attention to the "Side Effects" and "Interactions" tabs and don't use it if you're planning on having surgery.  I'm really glad I found this information as I do have surgery coming up.

I also looked up Aloe Vera, just because I know I've mentioned using it and wanted to make sure it was safe.  HERE is WebMD's information about that.  As above, pay special attention to "Side Effects" and "Interactions". 

From now on, before I use anything to treat any of my physical maladies, I plan to check WebMD, and I recommend that you do the same.  If you notice on the link I've included above, there is a search box in the upper right-hand corner.  ANY herb or spice you use medicinally can be searched.  Often people don't think about the risk of having problems with herbs that grow in the yard and garden and spices that are in our spice cabinets.  We've used them all our lives and they feel safe.  But anything that is said to cure a malady also probably has the risk of butting heads with some prescription you might already be taking.  When you have surgery, they pipe all kinds of drugs into you that you don't even know about.  So be informed and be safe. 

I also have some concerns about essential oils being used internally.  I e-mailed Mountain Rose, where I buy my essential oils and they told me they could not recommend using any essential oil internally.  I'm confused about what is called Food Grade Essential Oil.  I don't know enough about it to make any recommendations about it other than I would urge you to be as fully informed about these as well, and don't just trust what the people who sell these products say.  As we all know, when money is involved, no one gives a Rat's A$$ about anybody's long-term health and well-being, except that they don't want anything to kill us right away, because obviously that would be bad for business. 

We have learned a lot since The Good Old Days, when we didn't worry about what was in our food, or the other products we used.  My parents sprayed DDT liberally around their home to destroy bedbugs when Mom was pregnant with me and also when I was little.  My mother dissolved a whole One-A-Day vitamin in my morning bottle every day when I was an infant.  Most of the food I ate was home-canned, using methods that strikes fear in the hearts of home-canning experts today.  Of course, through at least the first part of my life, no one had to put on the label the name of any chemical they used in the growing or processing of any food that we ate.  I used saccharin liberally from the time I was a teenager, and drank bottle after bottle of Tab, a saccharin-infused cola put out by Coke in the early 1960's.  We used to sit around and try to read the ingredients list on shampoos, lotions, and other things we smeared or sprayed on our skin and hair.  And we'd laugh about it.  We went out in the bright sun without sunglasses or sunscreen, and we used DEET infused products to keep mosquitoes off us.  My dad smoked in the house and in the car.  Every time we drove the 200-mile distance to visit family, the car would be so full of smoke that I'd be nauseated throughout the trip and usually would throw up in a coffee can in the back seat of the car before we got to our destination.  Then I married a man who smoked, and he smoked in the house and our car until our small son had a reaction to it.  It's a pure-dee miracle I'm still alive.  And I bet lots of people my age can easily say the same. 

All this to say, be informed, be safe.  And Rock On.  Hugs xoxoxo

4 comments:

  1. Good food for thought, Ilene. Thank you. Yes, we survived many things that are now deemed hazardous to your health. Now days most food is hazardous to your health. Amazing isn't it?

    Fern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Fern. They used to say, and maybe they still do, that skinny people live longer. Maybe that's not so much because they WEIGH less, but because they take in less poisons by EATING less.

      Delete
  2. This is good to know! I try to wash fresh fruits and veggies that are bought, but I imagine there's plenty of bad stuff left on them. I researched about what stink bugs do to tomatoes: they inject a toxin, not harmful to humans, and I bet, since they like rotten things, the toxin makes the tomatoes go bad. All I know is, those white spots sure ruin a good tomato!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte, I've never had trouble with stink bugs on tomatoes. They're too busy killing all my squash, cukes and melons when they're here. So far I haven't seen any, I can't believe my luck. Probably won't happen again for the next ten summers...

      Delete

I appreciate your comments! Comment Moderation is back on. Spam comments, and those containing links to advertising will be deleted.